Departing Aircraft

My recent two blog posts were about airplanes, one with an overflying Airbus A380, the other with silhouettes. Today I want to complete this little series of aircraft photography with a third exciting scene. It shows a FedEx Boeing 777 freighter departing at Anchorage's Ted Stevens International Airport. For this photo I went early to the airport to prevent heat haze. I took some of such shots the day before during Afternoon hours and they were all destroyed by flickering hot air. To avoid this I tried to arrive at the airport soon after sunrise. The early hours have another positive effect of warm and soft light. I like this photo a lot, not only because of the overall scene with runway, woods and mountains, but also because of the stream of hot air that is clearly visible thrusting out of the engines. You can see the enormous power which is released there. Amazing.

400mm  f/10  1/800sec  ISO400
I took this photo hand-held with my EOS 70D and my excellent EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L telephoto zoom lens. The camera was set into P mode and calculated aperture and shutter speed automatically. ISO was set to a fixed value of 400.

Comments