Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Frozen Greenland From Above

62mm  f/10  1/320sec  ISO100
If you are travelling from Europe to North America, especially the western parts, you have a chance to fly over the island of Greenland. I do this regularly. Most often the island is covered by clouds or fog. But, sometimes you can get a clear view down onto the white landscape. I have already published some photos here in my blog of an overflight in Fall 2006. This time it was early March 2015 and the fjords were all frozen. It was an amazing sight to see the huge and rough glaciers pushing down between the mountains.

56mm  f/9  1/320sec  ISO100

69mm  f/9  1/320sec  ISO100
In front of the glaciers there is always a large amount of icebergs. But this time all was frozen. No iceberg was able to move. No blue water was floating between ice and rocks. The whole scene was nearly completely white. Low sun light threw long shadows into the landscape creating a nice contrast. It was such a beautiful and jaw dropping view, that I was not the only one onboard who was taking pictures. I turned my photos into black and white ones to increase this intense mood and to work out more detail.

50mm  f/10  1/250sec  ISO100

The photos were taken with my EOS 600D camera and my EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens. The camera was set into P mode and calculated aperture and shutter speed automatically. ISO was at a fixed value of 100. I took the photos hand-held through the airplane window.

No comments:

Post a Comment