Buring Torch Silhouette

I like playing with the sun and turning things into silhouettes. It was in January this year when I visited the city of Budapest once again. This time I did a walk up to the hill when the Liberty Statue is overlooking the city. It was an quite overcast sky all day long. At the square where the statue is located there are two smaller statues. One is a dragon fighter, the other is a man carrying a torch. With some luck the sun poke through the clouds and I got the chance to take a silhouette photo of the latter statue. I was taking a position where the sun was right behind the tip of the torch making it look as like it burns.

35mm  f/13  1/400sec  ISO200

In post processing the image I played a bit with the shadows ruler and turned the statue from a completely black silhouette to fully visible. I cannot tell which version of the image I like most, that's why I'm presenting both of it today.

35mm  f/13  1/400sec  ISO200

The photo was taken with my new EOS 70D camera and my also new 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens. The camera was set into P mode and calculated aperture and shutter speed automatically. I always use fixed ISO value and because of the overcast sky I've set it to 200 this time. The photo was taken hand-held.

Comments