Moving Water

During my recent vacation I came across a little creek. Clear glacier water was running over rocks and branches. The plashing in the all so quiet environment was very relaxing. Moving water is always a challenge to me, because bringing the motion to attention, water needs to be captured in slower shutter speeds. I usually do not carry any ND filter nor a tripod with me. So, I had to look for a way to stabilize my camera to prevent from shakes during capture. In this scene I placed it onto one of the rocks. The other risk is overexposure. Even with lowest ISO and highest aperture setting the shutter speed can be to fast to nicely blur the moving water. I found out that 1/10 of a second is a good compromise for shutter speed.

42mm  f/32  1/10sec  ISO100

Initially I did overexpose the photos a bit. In post processing the RAW files I could darken them again and work out some more details. To further point the attention to those little waterfalls I turned the photo into a black and white one. All the colors in the scene were distracting too much.

47mm  f/20  1/10sec  ISO100

A second moving water scene that I want to share in this post was at the outflow of a lake. A little dam has been formed of rocks and branches. At a lower part of that dam the lake water was running fast and loud out of the lake into a river. This scene again had the challenges of stabilizing the camera and finding exposure settings that did not overexpose too much. The water was running so fast here that even a shutter speed of 1/30 of second was enough to blur the moving water.

18mm  f/22  1/30sec  ISO100

The photos were taken with my EOS 600D camera and my EF-S 18-55mm standard zoom kit lens. For taking photos of moving water I usually use shutter priority mode. Shutter speed is the essential factor in this scene. ISO value is set to the lowest value possible, which is 100 in my case. Aperture will be calculated by the camera automatically. Usually it runs up to the highest possible value, especially on sunny days.

Comments