River Fireworks

43mm  f/16  2sec  ISO200
Every year in August there are two fireworks at the river in my city. One at the beginning of the month, the other at the end. The latter of those is fired from a vessel right in the middle of the river. This has the advantage that no part of the river bank has to be closed and more people can enjoy the colors and beauty of this event. From my balcony I have an excellent view on the river and the fireworks. So it is obvious that I get my tripod and camera in place every year. The photos I show today are from August 2014.

43mm  f/11  4sec  ISO200

55mm  f/29  2sec  ISO200

55mm  f/11  1sec  ISO200
Taking photos of fireworks is not that easy. Depending on what kind of effect is currently fired the light conditions change constantly. That's why I usually shoot in semi-automatic mode and let the camera decide about the exposure. Another fact that is changing during a fireworks is it's height. Some effects do not go up high that much, others are shot far into the sky. So I had to adjust focal length from time to time. Re-focusing the scene afterwards was sometimes difficult in such low light environment. Because a fireworks lasts only a view minutes you have not the time to experiment a lot. That's why I'm always curious about the results after shooting a fireworks and I am happy if I got some nice photos.

55mm  f/5.6  5sec  ISO200

Today's photos were taken with my EOS 600D camera and my EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 standard zoom kit lens. I mounted the camera on a tripod and attached a remote release control to prevent camera shakes. This time I used aperture priority mode (Av) and let the camera calculate shutter speed automatically. I tried different aperture values and focal lengths, resulting in a variety of shutter speeds. Depending on how long the shutter is open, the shape of the fireworks varies. ISO was at a fixed value of 200. To get an optimum exposure I set meter mode to spot metering. With this option the camera concentrates on the center of the frame to calculate exposure. In post-processing the image I cropped out an optimum frame, adjusted white balance and contrast a bit and increased saturation to get really colorful scenes.

Comments