Moonrise with clouds

I'm currently sorting out my pile of photos taken last year. While browsing and deleting I came across some photos of the rising full moon. The memories of that evening are still clear to my mind. I went out onto my balcony just the time when the moons began to rise above the horizon. It was a beautiful sight. The full moon, still a bit weak in brightness, but with some warmth in color, was rising above the trees. I grabbed my camera and tripod and took some shots. I love the scene, because the tree make it more interesting and the contrast is not that strong.

400mm  f/5.6  1/200sec  ISO400

When the moon was too far away from that trees I stopped shooting. But I noticed all the landing airplanes passing my home. Immediately I remembered the photos of aircraft passing through the moon, that I took some weeks ago. I wanted to repeat that shooting and waited until the moon was at aircraft height. But, unfortunately, some clouds developed. The scene became too dark for good photos of aircraft. While monitoring the scene I started enjoying the sight of clouds moving in front of the moon. It looked somehow mystically. So I decided to take some shots of the full moon partially covered by moving clouds.

400mm  f/5.6  1/20sec  ISO800

I took these photos with my EOS 500D and my excellent EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L zoom lens. The Camera was set into P mode and calculated aperture and shutter speed automatically. ISO was set to a fixed value. To get the moon exposured correctly in dark scenes I changed meter mode to spot metering. As I already mentioned my camera was mounted onto a tripod.

Comments