Sunbathing Butterfly

Some weeks ago during a walk I detected this butterfly between the leafs of a cherry tree. Fortunately I had my camera with me. The butterfly was resting there on that leaf nearly motionless. From time to time it lifted it wings but only to lower them down again soon. I suppose it was getting some warmth in the sun because it was the first sunny day after a long period with cold temperatures and constant rain. Luck for me, I had plenty of time taking photos of this beauty.

400mm  f/8  1/500sec  ISO400
I have taken the photo with my EOS 500D and an EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L zoom lens mounted to it. Camera was set into P mode and calculated aperture and shutter speed automatically. ISO was at a fixed value of 400 which results in higher values calculated for aperture and shutter speed on this sunny day. To control auto focus I switched it into single point metering. I took the photo hand-held.

Comments