Huge Dragonfly

400mm  f/7.1  1/500sec  ISO400
In this year's Spring season I spent some days at a friend's yard. I really like to go there because there are always interesting scenes to photograph. On one sunny evening I again was hunting for subjects. First I found lots of bees at a group of strange plants. I already shared photos of that earlier this year. When I moved on I came to an area with some apple trees. At one branch I suddenly spotted this huge dragonfly taking a bath in the evening sun. I usually know them small and colorful, but this one was really huge and not so full of colors.

400mm  f/8  1/500sec  ISO400
When I started pressing the release button of my camera and taking some first shots, the dragonfly turned a bit. I suppose it noticed me taking pictures of it and it wanted to show me the amazing pattern in it's wings. Unfortunately the lower right wing seems heavily damaged. Maybe the result of a fight? These insects are really ugly when magnified that much, but also quite interesting. Did you noticed all the hair at the belly? And is that a sting at the very end? After a few more shots the dragonfly decided to fly away and look for a more silent place.

I took the photo with my EOS 500D and my EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L lens. To stabilize myself and reduce camera shake I was sitting on ground resting my arm onto my knee. The camera was set into P mode and calculated aperture and shutter speed automatically. ISO was at fixed value of 400. To control auto focus I switch it into single spot metering.

Comments