Rain drops on leafs

50mm  f/5.6  1/500sec  ISO400
It was raining all the time when I spent an extended weekend at a friend. We were sitting in the house and couldn't get out. After some time I was so bored that I had to put on the rain coat and go out into his yard. When walking around in the rain a bunch of roses raised my attention. Water drops were resting on top of the leafs. It was looking like tiny crystal pearls were placed on the leafs. Because of the steady rain the count and layout of rain drops were changing constantly. I had to get my camera to capture this scene. So I went back to the house, got my camera and a plastic bag for rain protection.

50mm  f/5.6  1/250sec  ISO400
Back at the scene I was looking for a nice perspective. My intention was to point out this crystal pearl effect. I first tried a lower perspective with a nearly parallel view over the leaf's surface. This also has the side effect of a beautiful depth of field. The closer I was to the leaf the better the depth of field came out. To control auto focus in this situation I switched settings to center focus. With a second scene I changed perspective a bit so more leafs and water pearls got into focus. The depth of field is not that strong anymore but the background is still blurred nicely to point out the scene.

The photos were taken with my EOS 600D with an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 standard zoom kit lens. To control depth of field I switched the camera into Av mode with the lowest possible aperture value. Shutter speed was calculated automatically. Due to the dark and gray sky I had to increase ISO value to a fixed 400 to get reasonable fast shutter speeds. The photos were taken hand held, I did not had a tripod with me.

Comments