Octopus Stinkhorn

Yesterday I shared some photos of mushrooms. During the same walk through the woods of Black Forest I noticed this crazy looking plant. The bright and strong red near the path raised my attention. This item is a mushroom called Octopus Stinkhorn. Even if it looks devilish it is not poisonous but tastes very strong. So it is not suitable for eating.

Taking photos of this mushroom was not that easy. It was surrounded by branches and thus there were only few positions available for placing my camera at low level. The light situation was bad, because of a clearance in the background with bright light. I had to got quite close to the mushroom to avoid disturbing branches in the front. Being close is challenging for focus because the depth of field becomes quite narrow. But I managed to get a least one shot that is of good quality that I like really much.

35mm  f/4.5  1/30sec  ISO400
To take the photo I positioned my camera low above the ground. With screen folded out I used live view to get the right focus. The camera was my EOS 600D with my EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 standard zoom kit lens mounted to it. As usually my camera was set into P mode and calculated aperture and shutter speed automatically. ISO was at a fixed value of 400 because of low light in the woods. I rested the camera on the tip of my shoe to stabilize it.

Comments