Pink Poppy

380mm  f/10  1/800sec  ISO400
Some days ago I was visiting a friend again. In his yard I noticed a small field of giant poppy. The plants were as high as I am. I've never seen such a huge poppy. Stalks were raising up high in the air carrying a large pink flower or some interesting shaped seed capsules. The good thing was that I could take my pictures standing straight. No need to bend down or go down onto my knees. It was very comfortable to take these photos.



When I went to the field in the morning a lot of plants were blooming. It was a beautiful sight. Lots of pink was glowing in the morning sun and flowers were waving in the wind. I couldn't get enough of this amazing scene. Sometimes the wind was blowing down some blossom leaves offering a glimpse to the inner parts of it. A strong yellow center added perfectly to intense pink leaves. What a beautiful blossom!

400mm  f/13  1/1250sec  ISO400

400mm  f/7.1  1/4000sec  ISO400
In between all these colorful flowers there were lots of seed capsules. They look really strange with the thick ball and this kind of umbrella on top of it. While flowers were waving in the wind these capsules stood strong. Especially at noon when the sun was shining quite steep from above these umbrellas created an interesting shadow at the seed ball. Stripes of shadow and sun light were coloring the ball letting it look like a game ball.

400mm  f/10  1/800sec  ISO400

During late noon hours the sun was burning really hot. It didn't take long and all the blossoms lost their leaves. Now the poppy field was not colorful anymore but it still looked interesting. Long stalks stood straight in the air all carrying a seed ball on top of it. This scene looked really strange. But the plants were already producing new buds. First they look really sad with heads hanging down. In the late afternoon these heads started raising up and the next morning a new colorful and beautiful blossom was born.

400mm  f/8  1/500sec  ISO800

365mm  f/7.1  1/500sec  ISO400

I took these photos with my EOS 500D camera and my excellent EF 100-400mm L zoom lens mounted to it. I started with the camera set to P mode where aperture and shutter speed are calculated automatically. Later on I switched into Av mode to get a better control of aperture and depth of field. ISO was set to a fixed value of 400 or 800 in the evening to reach reasonable fast shutter speeds. As I mentioned I took these photos standing straight, free-hand, with no tripod.

Comments

Louis Dallara said…
Beautiful flower shots
fredamans said…
Never seen a pink poppy till now. Pretty.