Luminale 2014

Every second year in our city is held a light and art exhibition called "Luminale". It is always a great chance to get out in the dark and take beautiful photographs of spectacularly illuminated facades and buildings or interesting light installations in public places or galleries. Two years ago I was visiting this event for the first time. It was amazing and I've published my results here. Last week this year's "Luminale" was held and I was out again with camera and tripod.

25mm  f/4  1/6sec  ISO400
One of the installations I visited was our main train station. The facade of it's entrance hall was illuminated in various and ever changing colors. Unfortunately the lower part of the building was covered in scaffold which ruined the overall impression. But the upper part was quite nice. Especially the statue of Atlas carrying the Earth sphere looked beautiful because it was illuminated in different colors. I would have taken a closer shot of it but didn't carry the proper lens with me.

40mm  f/5  1/15sec  ISO400
The next exhibit I visited was a light installation on a public place called "Orchestrating the Depth of Light". I'm not that art guy, so I didn't understand, what it was about. But it looked interesting. A plastic object in organic shape was illuminated from inside. The challenge in photographing this object was the ever changing brightness. Most of the photos were either under- or overexposed. I did some wide angle shots with the surrounding place but I more like the closeups, like this one.


30mm  f/4.5  1/3sec  ISO400
A further light installation I was interested in was called "Twinkle Twinkle". It was a funnel shaped construction of glass bars. During day time the glass breaks the sun light and twinkles in rainbow colors. In the darkness the structure was illuminated from below. From time to time the light twirled around and together with a sound of breaking glass it created an impression as if the construction is collapsing. The object was installed on top of a water surface which created a beautiful reflection. I turned the photo into a black and white one to eliminate distraction by surrounding city lights. I think, this way it comes mor into focus.

24mm  f/4  1/8sec  ISO400
My absolute highlight of this evening's walk was the illuminated facade of our stock exchange. The building itself is always beautiful but with all the lights it looked gorgeous. Due to light and shadow the elements of the facade are heavily pointed out by strong contrast. The colors were amazing and intense. I've seen photos of that building in various colors but as long as I was there they didn't change. Unfortunately the space around is limited so I could not completely frame the facade. Standing in front of that building was fantastic. A dream in pink.

20mm  f/3.5  1/6sec  ISO400

55mm  f/5.6  .6sec  ISO400

For taking all these photos I chose the easy way this time. My EOS 600D was equipped with a 18-55mm standard zoom kit lens. This is an ideal lens for city walks but, as I mentioned, for taking some closeups of roof statues a lens with higher focal length would be necessary. The camera was set into P mode and calculated aperture and shutter speed automatically. Usually this setting results in overexposed photos during night time. That's why I activated spot metering and used exposure correction to get a nicely exposed result. ISO was at a fixed value of 400 to get faster shutter speeds at low light. Since the camera was mounted onto a tripod I disabled image stabilization. To prevent camera shakes I activated mirror lock and used a remote release control.

Comments