Wafts of Mist

During my recent vacation to Alaska in late February I experienced a scene that I do not often witness. In the morning hours we often had to deal with fog. But it wasn't a constant one. Instead wafts of mist were drifting through the landscape. From now to then the scene changed completely. From clear sunny weather to thick fog and everything in between. It was amazing!

100mm  f/14  1/1000sec  ISO400

Fog is always a mystical phenomenon. The scene fades into gray and you don't know what is in the far. If fog is heavy enough all the colors disappear and you get a naturally black and white image. The walking path or street in the photos are increasing this mystical mood. It looks like they lead into nowhere. I love this kind of scene.

135mm  f/11  1/1000sec  ISO400

I took these photos with my EOS 500D camera and my EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L lens attached to it. Because this is a quite simple scene I did not change the setting much. Camera was set into P mode and calculated aperture and shutter speed automatically. ISO was set to 400. This is my standard setting for the lens I used to get reasonable shutter speeds for shooting hands free.

Comments