Pink Fountain

23mm  f/22  1/20sec  ISO100
Last Fall I was on vacation in south eastern part of the Unites States. On of my stops was the city of Charleston, South Carolina. When arriving there at Waterfront Park I was surprised to see fountain with pink colored water. First I was a bit irritated but then it looked quite beautiful. The flying water was twinkling in the bright sun. The longer I was watching the fountain the more I liked it. The pink color was a nice contrast to gray concrete floor, strongly green leaves and bright blue sky.

For taking photos of that fountain I got either down on my knees or sat down onto the floor to get a lower position. Additionally I went close to the water and used a wider angle or a shorter focal length. Both will increase the impression of the water flying high above my head. While taking the shots I experimented with different shutter speeds. Moving water should be captured in a way that clearly shows the motion by motion blur. This will be achieved by longer shutter speeds.

Below are two examples of the same scene. The first one was shot with camera's Tv mode. I used an extremely short shutter speed of 1/1600 of a second. You can clearly see every single water drop. The whole scene shows no action. It is kind of frozen.
For the second shot I selected a fixed shutter speed of 1/20 of a second. Aperture value was calculated automatically. With this quite low shutter speed the motions comes out very clear. The small drops now appear as silky threads. The whole scene shows a lot of action. You can really imagine the water flying into the center and splashing around there. With a short focal length camera shakes are not that problematic, at this shutter speed.

32mm  f/4.5  1/1600sec  ISO100

32mm  f/29  1/20sec  ISO100

Here is another example of the same scene with different shutter speeds. This time I kept my camera in Tv mode and selected different shutter speeds manually. The left photo was shot with 1/500 of a second. Again this one is kind of frozen with not showing any action. The right photo was shot with 1/100 of a second. Even at this quite fast shutter speed the motion is already visible. It is not that beautiful as in the second shot above, but when shooting directly into the sun it is hard to go much slower. Even with this photo I had to correct exposure heavily in post production, because it was much overexposed. To get slower shutter speeds on bright days you can use ND or gray filter, but I do not own some. So I have to deal with what is possible with my gear. And it works good for me.

20mm  f/14  1/500sec  ISO100

20mm  f/22  1/100sec  ISO100

Comments