Pepper plant

One weekend in September last year I was again visiting a friend at lake Balaton in Hungary. He has a huge yard with apple trees and some vegetable beds. At one of these beds there were growing some plants of a typically Hungarian vegetable: Pepper. It was a nice sight to see those dark red fruits shining through all green leafs.

At one morning after a rainy night I took my camera and tried to capture some impessions of that bed. The sky was still overcast and gray and thus spent some soft light. All leafs and pepper fruits were wet from rain last night. I was searching for some nicely shaped and deeply red peppers. To get a nice view through the bunch of plants I lowered my camera down to fruit level. This way I got a nice and green background which is a contrast to strong red. I noticed that there were still tiny white blossoms and small, growing fruits. So I tried to get a nice shot of that scene as well. After half an hour of walking and crawling through the bed I was quite wet and dirty. But the result was worth it.

55mm  f/5.6  1/100sec  ISO400

55mm  f/5.6  1/125sec  ISO400

These photos were taken with my EOS 600D camera and an EF-S 18-55mm standard zoom kit lens. The camera was set into Av mode with lowest possible aperture value. With this setting I wanted to create a nice depth of field and blur out the background. ISO was at a fixed value of 400 because of overcast and gray sky. Shutter speed was calculated by camera automatically. I took these photos hand-held with resting the camera onto my knee and using live view mode to frame and focus the scene.

Comments