Dirty Wheelbarrow

46mm  f/5.6  1/80sec  ISO400
In the yard of a friend I recently visited there was this old and dirty wheelbarrow. I was fascinated by its shape, especially of the wheel and all that dirt on it looks amazing. The tire looks like a turbine fan when viewed from the side. Symmetric structures of main frame, bowl and wheel are nicely disturbed by dents, rust and clots of dirt. This wheelbarrow was definitely used the heavy way. To get an interesting perspective which points out the shapes I went down and sat down on the ground. I wanted to take a side shot but to prevent a flat object I took a position a bit to the right. This way you can see the front of that bowl which gives the wheelbarrow some depth. The shot came out quite well. I wished to have got some more depth of field, but I did not have the right lens with me. In post precessing the image I turned it into a black and white one with a warm sepia tone. This creates a more dramatic atmosphere and all that green around in front and back does not distract. I like the result.

The photograph was taken with an EOS 600D camera and an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit zoom lens. Camera was set into P mode and calculated aperture and shutter speed automatically. Because of overcast sky I have set ISO to a fixed value of 400. I took the photo hand-held without a tripod.

Comments