Hibiscus blossom

Some days ago I was on an afternoon walk. I came by a huge bush of Hibiscus that carried some beautiful purple blossoms. It had just stopped raining so everything was covered with nice water drops. The still overcast sky and soft afternoon light created a wonderful atmosphere.

47mm  f/5.6  1/400sec  ISO400
I was looking for a blossom in a position that was reachable for me and my camera and that was facing the right direction. Before taking a shot I tried out some different frames and decided to go quite close to the blossom and to not frame it complete. This way it appears quite large and is dominating the scene. The waterdrops come out beautifully and the purple blossom leaves create a strong contast to juicy green background. Due to the soft light there are no sharp shadows. Everything looks smooth and perfectly illuminated. I got the right point of focus and the low aperture value creates an excellent depth of field. I like the resulting image. It presents this beautiful blossom in a perfect way.

I took the photograph with my EOS 600D camera and my EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 standard zoom kit lens. Camera was set into Av mode and calculated shutter speed automatically. I chose a low aperture value of f/5.6 to get a nice depth-of-field and to increase shutter speed to prevent motion blur. Because of the quite dark late afternoon light I increased ISO value to 400.

Comments