Vine Tentacles

36mm  f/4.5  1/1250sec  ISO100
Here is the third and last part of my little series about growing vine plants in Spring. I took these photos during a weekend vacation to lake Balaton in Hungary some weeks ago where I spent some time at a vineyard. I was surprised how many interesting and beautiful scenes such vine offers. I already showed tiny sprouts on old trunks and yesterday some larger branches with back light. Today I want to deal again with these larger branches but in a different theme. Vine has an interesting phenomenon that some other plants have as well. It is growing in very long branches that need to get some hold somewhere. Therefore it creates tentacles that scan the surrounding for something they can hold on. These branches are looking very interesting if separated from the rest of the plant and shot against the sky. It looks like antennas or abstract art. Amazing! And if shot against the sun the whole thing becomes a silhouette which makes the scene even more spectacular. I love it.


55mm  f/5.6  1/1600sec  ISO100

55mm  f/9  1/200sec  ISO200
If such a tentacle reached some object it bends down around it again and again to get a firm hold. Sometimes it is another branch of the same plant, sometimes a fence. In a typical vineyard the are cables mounted in lines to support the plants to get a hold. In the photo I got the vine tentacle found some hold at a blackberry branch. You can identify it by all the thorns along the branch. It is amazing how the tentacle wrapped around the branch wile the other part is still searching for more hold. I also love the depth of field in the photo, although it was shot with a relatively high aperture value. The focus is right the point of interest while foreground and background are blurred.

The photos were taken with my EOS 600D camera and my EF-S 18-55mm kit zoom lens. With the first two photos the camera was set int Av mode with a low aperture value. This is not necessary here, but I forgot to switch back from former shots. This resulted in these very high shutter speeds. With the last photo the camera was into P mode, which is again not perfect for this kind of scene. I should have switched to Av mode and choose a lower aperture value to get more depth of field, but I forgot. Like I often do, unfortunately. ISO was at a fixed value of 100 or 200 because of the sunny weather.

Comments