Ugly Bugs

55mm  f/5.6  1/500sec  ISO200
When going for a walk through nature in late Spring you can enjoy all those blooming meadows, bushes and trees. It's always a beautiful sight and smells fresh. But, where the colorful blossoms are, there are lots of insects, too. I'm kind of split with my feelings when it comes to those animals. On one hand they are most often ugly as hell. On the other hand they are interesting to watch when they harvest all the blossoms or relaxing in the sun. I often try to take photos of insects, which is by far not easy, because they are small and fast. When viewing the photos on my computer screen later at home I'm always both shocked and fascinated. Shocked about the horrible creature and fascinated about the details that become visible. For instance the bug shown here: Did you notice the sharp claws? Or the other bug below: Have you seen that it has hair on its back? Nature is amazing!

I took these two photos on a weekend vacation to lake Balaton in Hungary. From that vacation I already published photos of a busy bee on some rosehip blossoms some days ago.

55mm  f/9  1/200sec  ISO100
I was on a walk through vineyards and meadows, when I spotted this huge bug hanging at a grass straw and chewing at some blossom. I tried to take photos, but because some wind the grass was weaving and thus the bug was always out of focus. With some patience I got a short period of no wind and got this great shot.

Some minutes later I came to a blooming elder tree that was full of these shiny green bugs, that look like metal robots. They were flying all around making heavy noise like a military plane. I found one that was crawling slowly over an elder blossom and was eating or drinking. And again it was not easy to get this moving object into focus. But I was successful and lucky.

The photos were taken with my standard gear which is my EOS 600D camera and my EF-S 18-55mm kit zoom lens. For the first photo the camera was set into Av mode with the lowest possible aperture value. This will blur out the background and thus separates the bug and directs attention to it. ISO was at a fixed value of 200. Shutter speed was calculated by the camera automatically. For the second photo the camera was set into P mode where aperture and shutter are adjusted automatically. ISO was fixed at 100 because of the sunny light.


Comments