Giant Dandelion

18mm  f/11  1/320sec  ISO200
This month I have posted a lot of photos from my weekend vacation to lake Balaton in Hungary some weeks ago. But, there is one photo I still have to share. It's about some plant I don't know the name of and which I have never seen before. It looks like Dandelion, but is much higher with smaller blossoms and giant ball of seed feathers.

During my walk through vineyards and meadows I have seen many of these flowers but only with open blossoms or closed seed capsules. On my way back to town I spotted one plant at a small wall close to a fence at the sidewalk which had an open seed ball. I was amazed about the size and wanted to take some photos but the location was absolutely bad. The photo to the right is for showing you the scene. You have that huge and ugly fence that was always in the frame. The background was filled with street, walls or other disturbing and non-natural items. So I was thinking of how this awesome plant could be captured best.

One idea I got was to shoot it from below up into the sun. I turned the camera into live view mode, folded out the display and placed it under the plant with the lens pointing up and away from the fence. This way you get a clean sky background that does not disturb. The sun is illuminating the seed ball from back and thus pointing out the structure of these fine feathers. The short focal length creates a lightly misshaped scene that lets the plant appear even larger. I absolutely love the result. Compared to that horrible surrounding the shot went out quite well. No ugly fence, no street or buildings. Just an unsharp tree and some clouds in the lower part that perfectly add to the scene and make it look natural and interesting. Very nice.

21mm  f/13  1/500sec  ISO200

I took the photos with my EOS 600D camera and my EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 standard zoom kit lens. The camera was set into P mode and calculated aperture and shutter speed automatically. ISO was at a fixed value of 200.

Comments