Symphony of Lights in Hong Kong

Some days ago I was talking with some friends about a photo of Hong Kong shown in a magazine. This talk reminded me of my own visit to the city several years ago. While browsing the photos of that vacation in my archive I came across the ones I've taken during a spectacular light, laser and fireworks show. I had the luck to have been at the right time to the right place.

11.6mm  f/3  0.7sec  ISO200
During my visit to the city of Hong Kong in May 2005 the spectacular "Symphony of lights" was performed every evening. I got noticed about that event by posters and signs all around the city's streets. It was announced as a spectacular night show with laser beams, lights and fireworks from the roofs of Hong Kong's skyscrapers. Music will be broadcasted at some radio stations. My plan was to go to the harbor front of Kowloon at the opposite site of Victoria Harbor with a beautiful view at all the skyscrapers. When arriving there in the evening the scene was amazing. All the building were illuminated, some with changing colors, others with changing light patterns. It was such a beautiful sight, even without the fireworks.

11.6mm  f/3  0.8sec  ISO200
The harbor front was filling with people and then the show started. First there were some light spots stretching their beams through the air over the harbor. A first show with colorful fireworks from the roof of several skyscrapers followed. Many people were wearing headphones to follow the broadcasted music. I had none, but even without music the show was fantastic. The low hanging clouds were illuminated by the fireworks and the water of Victoria Harbor was reflecting the colorful light as well. The show continued with some bright green laser rays and a second amazing fireworks part. It was so nice to be there at the harbor with many others tightly following and enjoying this awesome event.

As this was long before my DSLR era, I took the photos with my Nikon E8700 camera. I switched the camera to night shot mode, which resulted in longer exposure times. To prevent shakes I placed the camera onto some wall and activated a 10 seconds release timer. Every now and then I pressed the release button. I also changed camera's direction from time to time to get other parts of the skyline framed. At that time I was amazed about the resulting photos. I am still fascinated, but today I would say the quality is not that good. But,  because of that spectacular scene I want to share them anyway.

Comments