Silhouette Grabs The Sun


I love to play with the sun and to create photos of silhouettes. This time I was at the beach promenade of Westerland at the island of Sylt, where this statue is erected. It shows a woman waving her hand to greet sailors, I guess.

42mm  f/18  1/800s  ISO200
When walking by I was blended by the sun and saw the statue's silhouette. I took my camera a started to take photos of that scene. First I took a position where the sun was hidden behind the woman's head, like I did it already in former silhouette shots. But then I got the idea to move a bit and let the waving hand partially hide the sun to create an impression as if the woman is reaching the sun and grabbing it. I like the result. Due to the high aperture value the sun appears nicely as a star. Unfortunately the statue looks like as if the woman has lost a leg, but when you take a close look, you will see the knee of the second leg behind the first one.

Silhouettes look great when turned into gray scale photos. This is what I first did with this photo in post processing. When comparing the gray scale photo with the original one I noticed shades of blue sky and yellow horizon. I was curious how it would look like, if I bring out these colours by increasing saturation a lot. And I must say, I like the colored photo more that the black and white one. It looks more interesting to me.

I have taken the photo with my EOS 600D and my EF-S 18-55mm standard zoom kit lens. Camera was set into P mode and calculated aperture and shutter speed automatically. ISO fast at a fixed value of 200.

Comments

ash said…
To get the facts straight - The statue is called "Save Our Seas" and the woman protects a seagull and a seal. So if she waves at anyone, it would be Greenpeace ;)
Thomas Schmidt said…
Thanks for making that clear. :)