Shells At Beach

55mm  f/13  1/400sec  ISO200

Last weekend I spent some time at the beach of Germany's northern most island Sylt. It was quite chilly and windy but mostly sunny weather. Walking along the coast of North Sea was very relaxing. I had my cameras with me, of course, to catch some beach mood. One of the typical scenes at an ocean's beach are shells. There are different types of them spread along the coast, mostly dead. If you carefully look around you find some interesting scenes: single shells or clusters of it, close to the water and still wet or away from water and dry, split apart or both parts still connected, damaged ones or complete shells.

55mm  f/5.6  1/2000sec  ISO200
Last year I took photos from above the shell vertically down. This time I tried another view. I wanted to get a flat view above the ground with the shell as main subject, but with a glimpse of the surrounding blurred in the out-of-focus area. With this technique you get a beautiful scene with a nice depth of field. Depending on aperture you get a very narrow area of focus, like in the second photo or a wider one, as in the first and last one. I like the scenes with one shell in focus and all the other ones around are adumbrated in the blurred parts. But most I like the last photo here. Not only the shell looks great with the shadow, the sea and sky in the background add perfectly to the scene.

51mm  f/11  1/400sec  ISO200
I took the photos with my EOS 600D and my EF-S 18-55mm standard zoom kit lens. I placed the camera flat on the ground, zoomed out to maximum focal length and got close to the shell. Since the camera was very low I had to fold out the screen and switch to live view mode. With the first and the last photo the camera was set into P mode and calculated aperture and shutter speed automatically. With the second photo I wanted to get a more narrow depth of field and switched the camera into Av mode with the minimum possible aperture value. Shutter speed was again calculated automatically. ISO was at a fixed value of 200. This results in some faster shutter speeds on a sunny day and prevents motion blur.

Comments

Cindy said…
Beautiful. I really love the second shot. Found you through the DPS weekly challenge (50mm).