Snowflakes


Last month I was on a Winter vacation to northern Norway. At one day I was on a walk with a friend through the beautiful landscape. It was a dark and gray day with an overcast sky.

55mm  f/5.6  1/50sec  ISO400
After some time it started snowing. First the snowfall was light with little snowflake, but soon it became heavier and the flakes got thicker. This is not unusual for Winter time, so I didn't mind. In fact, I like snowfall. I did not spent any attention to snowflakes because I'm used to it and they are not special anymore. Until I watched my friend taking photos. On his lens and lens cap I noticed snowflakes with a nice shape. I took a close look at it and was fascinated by what the snowflakes are looking like. I only know them from Internet pictures but seeing these beautiful ice crystals in real with my own eyes was absolutely awesome. When looking around now I saw them everywhere. On scarf, hat, camera bag and backpack and on branches of trees and bushes.

55mm  f/5.6  1/100sec  ISO800
Usually you need a good macro lens for taking nice photos of snowflakes. I had none with me. So I tried it with my 18-55mm kit zoom lens. It has a relatively short minimum distance and therefore is quite usable for macro like shots. I zoomed out to maximum focal length of 55mm and tried to get as close as possible to the desired object. Due to the black and even background the lens of my friend's camera was an ideal scene. But we both had no tripod with us. He tried to hold the camera as still as possible and I tried not to move that much. I increased ISO value to get a faster shutter speed and further prevent motion blur. The result is stunning. The photos are not of best quality, but they are sharp enough to get a nice view on these amazingly beautiful snowflakes. Click on a photo to see it in high definition and larger scale and you will be impressed as well.

The photos were taken with my EOS 600D and EF-S 18-55mm standard zoom kit lens. The camera was set into P mode and calculated shutter speed and aperture automatically. ISO value was fixed at 400 or 800.

Comments