Icicles


Today I want to deal with another topic of my recent Winter vacation to northern Norway in Mid February. After sharing photos of beautiful Winter landscapes, ice sculptures, snowflakes and the mood of low Winter sun I want to present gigantic icicles.

50mm  f/8  1/125sec  ISO200

During my stay in Kirkenes, Norway I did several walks through the city and surrounding. The weather was not that nice, it was quite dark because of heavy overcast sky. Every now and then it started snowing. On my walk through the city I loved the colorful houses, which are common for northern Europe. In nearly every settlement north of the polar circle you have wooden homes painted in strong colors. I like that. But, what I was more impressed of there in Kirkenes were the really huge icicles hanging down from the roofs. Some of them were so long, they reached down lower than the upper windows. Amazing.

47mm  f/7.1  1/100sec  ISO200

At first I didn't know, what the best perspective would be to capture this fascinating scene. So I tried out different positions. I took direct shots to the front, changed position to get directly under the roof looking straight above. Than I took photos from slightly aside to get diagonal lines. A last position I tried out was standing in line with the roof, but that result was absolutely not convincing. The photos I liked most were the ones shot directly to the front. In these scenes the icicles came out best. Additionally you have the contrast of horizontal and vertical lines. The last photo shows a view from aside. It's not that bad, but I like the first ones more.

55mm  f/8  1/160sec  ISO800

The photos were taken with my EOS 600D and my EF-s 18-55mm standard zoom kit lens. The camera was set into P mode, as usually for me when on vacation. Aperture and shutter speed were calculated automatically. Due to the dark light conditions I've set ISO to fixed value of 200 to 800, depending on darkness. I always use fixed ISO values to prevent too high automatically calculated values and resulting heavy image noise.

Comments