Crab Cages

275mm  f/8  1/640sec  ISO400
In the harbor of Kodiak, Alaska I found huge piles of cages that are used for fishing crabs. I know these from a TV show called "Deadliest Catch" and I was surprised and glad to see it here in real. But what I was also fascinated of was the geometry and regularity of these piles. Since all cages are of the same shape and size these towers of piled items create an interesting and nice pattern. There are vertical and horizontal lines of rusted pipes that form the outer cage. And then there are lots of diagonal white lines of nets within theses rectangular objects. For me as a technician this was a beautiful sight. There were piles of new cages which looked very clean and straight and there were piles of used cages. First ones looked like they were drawn with pencil and ruler. The beautiful thing with last ones was its not so straight optical appearance. The cage's pipes were bent, so the outlines were not as regular anymore. The round shape of buoys and ropes are a nice contrast to all the other nearly straight lines. And the strong colors of the buoys make the scene even more interesting.

190mm  f/10  1/800sec  ISO400

260mm  f/9  1/800sec  ISO400
 Maybe you've noticed that the photos were taken from above the piles. This is because I was on board a cruise ship and took the photos from an outer deck. I found this a nice and different perspective than looking from ground level. The photos were taken with my EOS 500D and my excellent EF 100-400mm L lens. The camera was set into P mode with fixed ISO value of 400. I used a higher ISO value to get some faster shutter speeds for preventing blur caused by camera shake. Aperture and shutter speed were calculated by camera automatically.


Comments