Greenland from above

Last year in October on a flight from Frankfurt, Germany to Chicago, IL we had the luck, that our flight took a quite northern route over the southern part of Greenland. Fortunately I got a window seat and therefore had the opportunity to get a glimpse of that icy island. But there were clouds all around. The only thing you could see when looking out the window was a fluffy white carpet. But suddenly the cloudy area terminated and we got an awesome view through clear air to snowcapped mountains, glaciers and fjords with lots of icebergs.

After observing the scene and enjoying the view for some moments I grabbed my camera and started taking some shots. I was fascinated by all the glaciers. When looking at them from above you can clearly see their moving by all that dirt which is carried by the ice down to the sea. The texture of merging glaciers is amazing. It looks like some huge amount of pulp is floating through the valleys. I have never seen this before.

Most of the galciers terminate in a fjord of sea water. You can see the glacier's end where all those icebergs are breaking off, where the glacier calves. The fjords are full of icebergs of any size, floating around until they were moved out to open sea by tides. From high above they look so tiny, but down at sea they are huge and dangerous. The contrast of dark blue water, gray rock and the glaring white snow and ice was absolutely great.

The scene was so fascinating that I wished I could stop the airplane and watch it forever. All those beautiful mountains with snow on top and these amazing glaciers inbetween looked so gorgeous. The low sun produced nice shadows onto the glaciers surface. It was such a beautiful view. But after some minutes we reached the western part of Greenland where there are no glaciers anymore and only view spots of snow were visible. And shortly after that clouds started to cover the earth again.

The photos were all taken with my EOS 500D. For the first and third one I used my EF-S 18-55mm kit zoom lens to get a wider angle view of the scene and for the second one I switched to my EF-S 55-250mm tele zoom lens to get a closer look at the glacier. I had switched the camera into P mode with fixed ISO value of 100 because of the bright scene. Aperture and shutter speed were calculated automatically.

Comments