Contrails

Here is another contrail photo I took one day in September this year. It was again this upper air weather condition where contrails produced by overflying aircraft did not disappear and were visible for a long time. The count of contrails was so high this time and the scene was so impressive that other people also took photos of it and shared them in social networks and blogs. I found some other images of that same sky at several sources.

This time I've chosen the lowest possible focal length of 18mm to get as much as possible of the scene captured on  photo. I got both the horizon and the sun which is really nice. Additionally I wanted to know this time how it looks like if I turn the photo into a black and white picture. I must admit I like it. Besides the concentration of the shapes and patterns the grayscale version has one further advatage: The lens flare effect is much decreased. In the colored version you clearly see the green and pink spots on the blue sky produced by reflections of the sun light in the inner parts of the lens. In grayscale version they are just some rarely visible lighter gray spots on the slightly darker gray sky. I like that. One further aspect of distraction from the scene is eliminated.

I took this photo from my balcony with my EOS 600D camera and my Tamron 18-270mm zoom lens at a focal length of 18mm. The camera was set into P mode with an fixed ISO value of 200. At this light condition a value of 100 would be better, but I forgot to change it. As I often do. The camera has calculated an aperture value of f/14 and a shutter speed of 1/500 sec.

Comments