Plane Tree Alley

At the river bank here in my city there is this alley of plane trees. These trees wear really large leaves so the alley is covered by a heavy roof which creates a tunnel like affect. It is always fascinating to walk through this natural tunnel. And I love the squiggly shape of the tree's branches.

Last Saturday when I was out the river bank again I took the chance and did some photos of that alley. I've chosen a position in the center of the way at the beginning of the alley so I get the tunnel as long as possible. Unfortunately there are those barriers at half way that I cannot remove. I took photos with and without people but I more like the ones with persons. It gives the eye a point to fix at and you don't get lost in the endlessness of the tunnel. Removing all the colors from the image and turning it into a grayscale one increases the tunnel effect. This way you are not distracted by things happening outside the alley, like the colorful tree at the right or the railroad track to the left. And additionally all the fallen leaves on the ground and the empty benches give the scene an extra mood.

The photo was taken with my EOS 600D camera and my EF-S 18-55mm standard zoom kit lens at a focal length of full 55mm. Due to the shady area I turned ISO to value 400. Aperture was at f/5.6 and shutter speed at 1/100 sec.

Comments