Fall Foliage

Today I want to publish some photos of fallen foliage. After all the colorful leaves at trees and bushes in my recent posts and the beautiful single leaves on ground here are some scenes of foliage covered lawns and walkways. All photos were taken with my EOS 600D and my EF-S 18-55mm standard zoom kit lens.

The first photo shows a lawn with lots of dry leaves. Since these leaves were all gray the scene showed not much color. So I decided to transform the image into a complete grayscale one. I think the scene gets more interesting this way because you are not distracted by any color. You are more concentrated to the leaves. I like the depth-of-field because it is not too much this time. There are still the blurred areas in front and back but you can still determine every single leaf and get an idea of the whole scene.
This photo was taken at 55mm focal length. ISO was at 400, aperture at f/7.1 and shutter speed at 1/125 sec.

The next photo shows the curb of a walkway in the park. There was a huge tree nearby so a lot of fallen leaves were on the ground. The wind has blown them together at the curb and added more leaves from other trees around. That's why the pile contains different kinds of leaves in various colors which makes it quite interesting. The green moss at the curb together with the green background is a nice contrast to the yellow and brown leaves. I placed my camera onto the tip of my shoe to get a stable position just above the leaves. This gives a nice perspective with a beautiful depth-of-field.
This photo was taken at 36mm focal length. ISO was at 400, aperture at f/4.5 and shutter speed at 1/640 sec.

Speaking of beautiful depth-of-field here is a further example. This is another lawn totally covered with lots of leaves in various colors. I again took the photo with the camera placed on the top of my shoe and chose a relatively low aperture value. I love the perspective with the blurred areas in front and back. The colors are amazing again. The scene is so colorful and nice.
This photo was taken at full 55mm focal length. ISO was at 200, aperture at f/5.6 and shutter speed at 1/250 sec.

Comments