Colorful lawn vs. grayscale lawn

Yesterday I posted some photos of foliage at lawns and walkways. The last photo was a lawn covered with lots of colorful leaves. I took a flat-angle perspective to get a nice scene with some depth in it. The low aperture value created a beautiful depth-of-field. With all the colors you can determine every single leave even in the blurred areas.
To repeat the camera settings again, this photo was taken with my EOS 600D in Av mode, my EF-S 18-55mm kit lens, at focal length of 55mm, fixed aperture of f/5.6 and shutter speed of 1/125 sec.

When I was post-processing the image I tried out how it looks like if I remove all the colors. I must admit I was impressed by the result. The photo got a completely different impression. You are no longer concentrated to all the colorful leaves. Instead you more realize the overall scene. The depth-of-field is more pointed out and gets a heavier impression because it is not interrupted by the colorful spots anymore. The texture of the leaves is more visible. In fact the whole scene got more texture. I love the result. Although the colorful version impressed me a lot this grayscale scene is much more intersting and beautiful to me. You should try for yourself by switching between both versions and compare the impression they create to you.

Comments