Thorns and new life

Spring does not only mean colorful blossoms. It is also the time of growing new life. Plants and trees are busy in producing new sprouts and leafs. Here are two more photos of my trip to the woods in early May where I also took photos of the dry thistle and the moth larvae. This time I'm focussing on thorny branches with tender sprouts.

I had my EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 zoom lens mounted onto my EOS 500D. The camera was set into P mode. I chose an ISO value of 100 because of the sunny weather. Aperture and Shutter speed were calculated automatically.

Here you can see the sprout of a wild blackberry bush. I was fascinated by the contrast of that sharp and dangerous thorns at the main branch and this tender and fragile, juicy green young branch growing out of it. Even the new leaves have that thorns growing. I also love the color contrast between the purple main branch and the green of the new leafs. Because the branch is quite far away from the background I've got a nice depth of field. The branch and sprout are nicely separating from the back.
I took this photo with a focal length of 84mm and the camera has calculated an aperture of f/8 and a shutter speed of 1/125 sec for this scene.

The second photo shows the young sprout of a robinia. This tree also has long and sharp thorns at the branches and again here I love that contrast between the rough branch and the tender sprout with the silky new leafs. The thorns are located where the sprouts are growing. It looks like the thorns are trying to protect the new life. This time I took the photo from slightly below into the sky. This gives a nicely blue background. I like the blurred sprout in the back and the depth of field in general in this photo.
This time I used a focal length of 225mm and the camera has calulated an aperture value of f/7.1 and a shutter speed of 1/400 sec.

Comments