Sleeping Snail

My pile of photos I want to publish here is growing faster than I can handle. So, here is a photo that I've taken several weeks ago. To be exactly, it was the day and place where I took the Graffiti photos at several freeway bridges. On the way back to my car I suddenly spotted this snail sleeping at one trunk. I was fascinated by how the snail got glueing itself to the trunk to not fall off. I took a few shots from different angels.

Since I was there to shoot bridge supports I had my EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 standard zoom lens mounted onto my camera. The camera was set into P mode with an ISO value of 400. I had to choose this high value because of the shady area. Higher ISO values give you higher shutter speeds, but also increasing noise in the image. Aperture and shutter speed were calculated by the camera automatically.

The first photo focuses on this glueing technique. I took this from slightly above the snail. The structure of that trunk is fascinating, too. The blurred background gives you a glimpse of the trail in the wood I was walking on.
This photo was taken with full focal length of 55mm. The camera has calculated an aperture value of f/7.1 and a shutter speed of 1/100 sec.




The second photo points out this fascinating spiral shape of that snail. It must be an older one since it has a large spiral. This photo I have taken from slightly below the snail to get a good view from the side. Since it was a shady area the sky in the background is completely burned out, unfortunately. But I like the depth of field in that photo. Only the spiral is sharply into focus while the rest of the snail is already blurring out.
This photo was taken with full focal lenght of 55mm again and the camera calculated an aperture value of f/7.1 and a shutter speed of 1/125 sec.

Comments