Moth larvae

It was the same day and place where I shot the dry thistle blossom that I've posted yesterday when I saw this strange young branch at some bush. It was completely covered with silken webs. First I thought this must be a very very active spider. But, when taking a closer look I saw all those larvae moving around in that kind of weaved nest. With my lens I got as close as possible to the branch to get the larvae as large as possible. Shown here is one photo in two different detail levels.

For the photo I used my EOS 500D and the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 zoom lens with a focal length of 187mm. The camera was set into P mode with an ISO value of 100 because of the sunny weather. Aperture was calculated by the camera automatically to f/7.1 and shutter speed was 1/320 sec. I did not use any tripod, just activated image stabilization at the lens.


Comments

ash said…
this is disgusting :-&
Thomas Schmidt said…
no, this is highly interesting :-)