Shells at the beach

This is part 2 of photos from my recent visit to the beach at the island of Sylt in northern Germany. Part one was about sea gulls, and today I want to share some shells.

When walking at the beach my view is down to the ground most of the time. I love all those shells laying there on the beach. Some are broken, others are complete. Some are really old and washed out, others are relativly new, with their colors and structure clearly visible. Sometimes there is one lonely shell, sometimes it is a small group or even a pile. All of them make a great scene for photos.

The photos shown here were taken with my EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 standard zoom kit lens. Camera was in P mode and ISO was set to 100 due to the sunny weather. Aperture and shutter speed were calculated by camera automatically.

At this shell I liked the old look and that its color was nearly the same as the sand around. This gives a harmony in colors between the shell and the sand. It must be really old but it is still complete. Often shells break into pieces when getting older, but this one did not. I love the dried sea water salt on its surface.
I did this photo with full zoom at 55mm. The camera has calcultated an aperture of f/11 and a shutter speed of 1/250 sec.

When shooting the previous photo I was amazed by the surrounding sand. It is kind of rough, consisting of tiny stones. I decided to take a photo of just the sand and it looks great to my mind. I love all these little stones in all their different colors and shapes. Some are transparent, others are not. All are still a bit wet, so they are reflecting the sun light in tiny spots. Inbetween the stones you can detect some tiny parts of shells.
I did this photo again with full 55mm. Due to the slightly different light conditions the camera has calculated an aperture of f/10 and a shutter speed of 1/250 sec this time.

The last photo for today shows a nice group of shells. What I like here is the variety and the composition. You have different types of shells in different colors and different conditions. All are laying there on the beach in a nice layout. They must be really old because they are washed out a lot. But the colors are still clearly visible
I did this photo with a reduced focal length of 45mm. The camera has calculated an aperture of f/11 and a shutter speed of 1/250 sec.

There is still more to come from that beach weekend.

Comments