Patterns in the sand

Here is part three with photos of my short visit to the beach of Germany's most northern island Sylt. This time I want to show you some interesting patterns in the beach sand.

Sand, especially at the beach, is a very exciting element. Near the water you have all those foot prints or shoe shapes in the sand that will disappear when the water swaps over it. Not to mention all those shells and sea plants. Further up to the dunes, where no water will reach the sand, you have a dry, desert like atmosphere, with patterns made by only the wind.

The photos shown today were all made with my new and excellent EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L zoom lens. Since it was a sunny day I set the camera into P mode with an ISO value of 100 and let the camera do the rest automatically. I did not use any tripod, just activated the image stabilizer at the lens.

It took me some time to find one single bare foot print in the sand. Since the beach was very crowded you have many traces and prints near together or even overlapping. But I wanted one single foot print, which I luckily found.

This one was shot with 100mm focal length and the camera has calculated an aperture of f/9 and a shutter speed of 1/400 sec.




The next two pictures show some patterns made by the wind. I love all those desert like scenes there at the beach. The photos were shot with a focal length of 100mm and 115mm, an aperture of f/10 and a shutter speed of 1/500sec.




With this last photo I love that lonely desert feeling, with the path of shoe prints in the dunes. The wind formed that typically desert like pattern and the trace of that walking person looks georgeous on it. I absolutely love that photo.

This one was shot with a focal length of 100mm, an aperture of f/10 and a shutter speed of 1/500 sec.

Comments