White Magnolia

It was last sunday, when I was out again for a walk looking for some nice spring blossoms. I found a group of Magnolia trees, but many of them were already over the peak. Except this one beautiful tree. Some weeks ago I've posted a photo of pink Magnolia blossoms taken last spring. So I thought it would be nice to get some actual photos. This time with white blossoms. Did I already mention that I love Magnolia?

I had my standard zoom lens EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 with me. Camera was set into aperture mode because I wanted to take photos with different aperture values. Since it was a sunny day I've chosen an ISO of 100.

With this first photo I wanted to capture the full mass of blossoms on that tree. I've changed my position and selected a focal length to get a nice selection. Since all blossoms both in foreground and backgroud should be quite sharp I chose a quite high aperture of f/10. Focal length was 55mm and shutter speed 1/200 sec. I like that overwhelming mass of bright white blossoms with that small deep green leafs inbetween and the strong blue sky shining through.

In that second photo I selected a group of 3 blossoms on one low hanging branch that I wanted to set in scene. I went quite near to the branch and selected a quite small aperture value of f/5.6 to separate the blossoms from the background. Focal length was 27mm this time and shutter speed 1/800 sec.

The last photo shows one single blossom in all its beauty. I love that tulip like shape, the thick blossom leafs with that smooth surface. And the bright white with a touch of pink
looks great in front of that intensively blue sky. Focal length was 36mm, aperture f/5.6 and shutter speed 1/800 sec.

Comments