Rakotz Bridge

At the recent Easter weekend I did a trip to a park in northern Saxonia, Germany, the Kromlau Park. One of the main attractions there is the Rakotz bridge, which was build in 1860. Unfortunately you cannot enter the bridge anymore. But it is still a sight. Especially with all those reflections in the Rakotz lake. Since it was early Spring, all the trees were still leafless, except some pinewood trees and rhododendron bushes, which are evergreen. The weather was really gray. The bridge and the lake must look gorgeous in summer or especially in fall with all those colored trees glowing in the sun light and reflecting in the lake. But I had only a gray early Spring day.

For the camera settings: The lens I used this time was again my Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3. The camera was set into P mode with an ISO of 200 due to the gray weather. Aperture and shutter speed was calculated by the camera automatically.

The first photo shows the bridge in all it's beauty. I love the reflection of the bridge in the water which forms nearly a complete circle. I also like the 2 trees left to the bridge, especially the form of thier branches. Those structure of stone poles in the back is quite strange. No idea what it should mean. There are several of them around the lake.These stone poles are also decorating both ends of the bridge. Unfortunately the sky has only little structure. But I had no tripod with me to try a HDR version of the scene.

The photo has been taken with a focal length of 43mm, an aperture of f/5 and a shutter speed of 1/200 sec.

With this second photo I wanted to direct attention to the awesome reflections in that nearly mirror like lake. I reduced the focal length and turned the view center a bit down to get more of the lake into the scene. Now you can see not only the bridge reflecting but also all those trees and bushes on both sides are clearly visible in the lake and the sky shows some more structure. I like this scene more than the first one, because it looks more impressive.

The photo has been taken with a focal length of 30mm, an aperture of f/5 and a shutter speed of 1/80 sec.

Comments

Rhonda Chapman said…
Great shot. Very clever, too. I'm trying to read some new ideas as I have a Canon 600D that I want to put to good use and learn new techniques.

Found you via Digital Photography School.