Pylon

Yesterday, after office I used the beautiful weather and went out to a field where there are some high voltage cables. I wanted to see what a pylon looks like when you are standing underneath it and looking above to the sky. It was phantastic. Geometry and symmetry at its best! I tried to stand exactly in the center of the pylon to get as much symmetry as possible.

Since these shots would be kind of wide angle I used my EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Kit lens. Sun was shining, so I set ISO to 100. Camera was in P mode and has calculated aperture and shutter speed automatically.

My first try was at full wide angel with 18mm, to get as much of the pylon as possible. I turned the camera to get everything parallel to the image borders. Aperture was calculated with f/8 and shutter speed with 1/160 sec.

Second shot was with a little zoom. This time the focal length is 37mm. Still everything is parallel to image borders. Due to the zoom the structure of the pylon is more dominant. There is less blue sky and more green steel. It looks much heavier compared to the first one, where the pylon is kind of fragile. Aperture was calculated with f/8 and shutter speed with 1/125 sec.

In this third photo I tried a kind of diagonal picture. It is not exactly at 45 degrees. I wanted the cable bearing run from the upper left corner of the image to the lower right one. The whole thing doesn't look as symmetric now as in the former shots, but it is an interesting view, too. Aperture was calculated with f/8 and shutter speed with 1/160 sec.

Comments