The goose look

Today's photo is one of my first photos with my EOS 500D. I've taken it in January 2010, some days after I got my first DSLR camera. On that afternoon I decided to go out to our local river bank and take photos of the many gooses that live there. I wanted to get familiar with the different handling compared to the compact camera I used so far.

From the hundreds of photos I took, this is one that I really love. Despite the fact that it is quite sharp I love the whole scene. First of all the look. That goose looks so funny. The shape of the head and the beak together with the small eyes looking straight to you form such a dumb face. I also like how the body of the goose blurres out into the back. And, of course, the colored water is great. The reflections of the blue sky and the white clouds in the low winter sun give the swelly water a nicely colored decor.

The lens I used was the kit zoom lens, an EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6. I've set the camera to aperture mode and chose an aperture of f/5.6 which is the lowest value at the selected 250mm focal length. ISO was set to 200 because of the shady area. For this photo the camera had calculated a shutter speed of 1/250 sec.

Comments