Fresh Water

Studio time again. My aim today was to take photos of fresh water coming out of a bottle and landing inside a glass. The light setup was quite difficult this time. I wanted the scene to be illuminated from the back. The light should shine through the water and the glass and thus pointing out their structure. I tried a white sheet of paper, illumanted from the back, but the paper was absorbing too much light. I used some white fabric, its structure was too much visible when the light shines through. So I decided to illuminate the fabric at the front. To prevent the light from reaching the glass I've placed boxes between the light source and the glass. This result was not, what I wanted initially, but after 2 hours of trying this and that, it was a good compromise. Especially with the limited equipment I own.

The final setup was as follows: Since I wanted to play with water, my studio was the kitchen again. I taped the white fabric to the bottom of  the cupboard above the sink. I placed a white box at the corner of the sink and layed a glass board on top of it. This was the bottom of my scene. Execllent place to put the water glass onto. Light from the right was produced by a halogen beamer. The beamer was directed to send the light to the white background. To prevent the light from reaching the water glass I put another box between the beamer and the glass. Left light came from my flash light. Again I placed another box between the flash light and the glass. All light was directed to the background only. This way I reached my aim that light comes from the back only.

My Canon EOS 500D was mounted on the tripod and adjusted a little above the water glass. Initially I wanted to use my excellent 100mm Macro lens, but the scene with the glass and the bottle above it was so large, that I would had to put the camera too far away from the scene. So I decided to use my EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Kit lens. I've connected the camera to my laptop computer again, but this time not to prevent shakes. The reason was to see the photos in a larger scale. I adjusted the focus length to get a wide area of the scene captured. This gives me the chance to vary the position of the bottle above the glass without getting out of the view. The concrete scene I will cut out in post processing the image. The focus length of my choice was 24mm this time.

Scince I had to hold the bottle I was not able to operate the camera at the same time. That's why I've choosen the timer controlled auto release mode of the camera. The setting was to take 10 pictures in a row after a 10 second timeout. I filled the bottle with water, started the timer, closed the bottle opening with my hand and held the bottle above the glass. As soon as the timer timed out and the camera started shooting photos I removed my hand and let the water flow. This way I've got a 10 photo series of the water dumping into the glass. The worst thing was that I had to clean the scene and polish the glass after every series. And because I removed the glass for cleaning and placed it again I had to adjust the focus before each series.

Camera settings: The camera was set to complete manual mode. Due to limitations with the flash the shutter speed was 1/200 secs. I've chosen an aperture of f/8 to get good image quality. ISO was set 100. Flash intensity was at full force to get a bright background.

And here is the result:



















Even if the background is not what it was intended to, I like it somehow. The warm orange colored light from the beamer to the right is a nice contrast to the bright white of the flash to the left. It gives the cold water a warm touch. But, one's for sure: I'll try this again some day!

Comments